History in Leander is alive and well. Experience our past through our historic homes, churches, and markers – these sites tell the story of our settlers in the Texas Hill Country.
“Leanderthal Lady,” The geology and weather of Leander, Texas has preserved a number of amazing fossils. Back in 1983, a woman’s skeletal remains were found on a construction site. After close examination it was determined she was 10,000 to 13,000 years old. This site was one of the earliest intact burials ever found in the United States. This prehistoric woman was dubbed The “Leanderthal Lady”.
Dinosaur Tracks -One of our fossil records is a set of dinosaur tracks possibly made by an Acrocanthosaurus. It looks similar to the Tyrannosaurus Rex. It stood 15 feet tall and 38 feet long. It’s possible to hike down to see the prints. The river bed is public property but it is not a maintained park. There are no signs or bathrooms and keep an eye out for snakes and please be respectful of the private property that surrounds the area. Just north of where 183 and 183-A come back together, you’ll find the bridge over the South San Gabriel. The tracks are found on the south side of the river, just about a half-mile downstream from the bridge. It is easier to find them when the river is dry.
Pickle-Mason House – Master carpenter Andrew Porter Pickle (1833-1908) built this house for his family in 1871. It remained in the Pickle family until 1913, when it was sold to Augusta K. and Sarah Zora Mason Davis. Following their deaths, it remained in the family. The home consists of two structures under one roof. The rear part features shiplap siding and the front exhibits milled siding and a five-bay facade. Today the City of Leander maintains and rents the home our for special events.
Leander United Methodist Church– This sanctuary was constructed here in 1879. The Bagdad sanctuary was relocated at this site on land deeded by Sarah J. Walker. Many prominent area leaders have been members here, including several who later became ministers.
Leander Presbyterian Church- This church was built in 1884. Many descendants of early members remain active in the life of the church.
Bagdad Cemetery Opened in 1857 with burial of 3-year-old John Babcock, whose father Charles later gave the tract to the community. Other early burials were Civil War veteran John Haile and Col. C. C. Mason. This cemetery is also earned fame as the site of the opening scene of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.